Just a blog about my adventures and mishaps in life.
Expect things like recipes, art, ways to save money,
fashion, creativity, beauty, babbling and randomness.
Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, August 10, 2012

Caramel From A Can

Here's another idea that I saw on Pinterest and just HAD to try! I couldn't believe it! You can make a whole can of fresh warm deliciousness for around a dollar?? YES!
I've read about two different ways that you can go about making this. Both include a can of sweetened condensed milk. The first way is to boil the can, unopened, and completely submerged in a pot of water for 2-3 hours. The 2nd was to submerge, (in water), in a crockpot for 8-10 hours on low.
I chose to try the latter.
After about 8.5 hours in the crockpot I took it out and let it cool at room temp for about 2 hours. I was a little disappointed when I first opened the can because I was expecting a dark thick caramel. This was more of a tan colored, creamy, caramel wanna-be. I stuck it in a bowl and microwaved it for one minute. (Be careful that it doesn't boil over). Here's what I got:
Mmm Mmm! Perfect for an ice cream topping.
Looking back, I think I should have heated it on "high" or let it cook longer, then I could have skipped the additional step. Next time I might try the stovetop method.
If you've got a can of this stuff in your pantry, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment